Many years ago, a chap named Martin Luther (not to be confused with Martin Luther King, Jr.) posted his 95 Theses on the door of Wittenburg Cathedral… and at a stroke, started the reformation and birthed the Protestant Church.
More recently, another fellow has posted his 95 Theses of Geek Activism on the door of the Internet. Some are humanitarian, some are political. Some I agree with, some I don’t. Technically there’s not really 95 of them, due to repetition. And they are not all “Theses”. But the idea is a good one, and deserves respect. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Trusted computers must not be trusted.
- Fair use is a good thing.
- Data mining will not stop terror.
- Except for extreme cases, the government should not be in the business of parenting our children.
- Security is a trade-off- what are you willing to give up?
- DRM only keeps an honest user honest.
Recommended reading for Geeks… and those who are trying to understand them.