.Somebody recently asked me what I despised most of all, what made me angry more than anything else. My reply, to my own surprise, was “freeloaders”.
After thinking about this for a while, I realized that freeloaders come in many different shapes and sizes.
- If you take something that belongs to someone else, you are a freeloader. You have taken a shortcut to stuff at someone else’s expense.
- If you expect someone else to make sacrifices so you can realize gains, you are a freeloader.
- If you are receiving royalties for someone else’s work, or for something you did decades ago, you are a freeloader. Copyright and Patent laws were designed to allow progress. This is done by rewarding creative folks sufficiently to make them create and invent more stuff. This also applies to publishers and people who have stopped creating because they make too much money… but that is another story.
- If you are unwilling to work, but expect others to feed, clothe and shelter you, you are a freeloader.
- If you expect someone else to pay for your health care, you are a freeloader. Health care is not a human right.
- If your business expects the government to enact laws to help you destroy the competition, you are a freeloader.
- If your business expects the government to bail you out, you are a freeloader.
That’s all for now.