Many years ago, when I was with Sprint, I called to renew my contract. I asked Customer Service if they would move the off-peak start from 8PM to 7PM.
They said “No”.
I signed up with Verizon, then called up to cancel with Sprint, where I spoke to a very nice man from the “Customer Retention” Department. The conversation went something like this…
- I am calling to cancel my service.
- I am sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do to get you to stay?
- If you could have changed the off-peak start from 8PM to 7PM…
- …sure I can do that.
- When I asked Customer Service earlier, they said “No”
- They can’t but I can.
- That’s rather silly, isn’t it? Anyway it’s too late – I just signed the contract.
- You can cancel with them within 14 days.
- I’m not doing that – and Sprint lost a customer because their CS folks aren’t empowered.
- But I am.
- Too late – barn door locked, horse bolted.
That was about ten years ago, and we’ve been with Verizon ever since.