For the past week or so I have been farming the new Level-60 Iron Star Deserter Supply Run fleets. They come in 5 flavors that yield boxes for Iron Star ships: Hunters (Python Cutter), Raiders (Heretic Cruiser), Battalion (Vigilante Battleship), Artillery (Machete Destroyer) and Scouts (Hurricane Frigate).
Although the fleets are technically different, they are actually precisely the same, consisting of four Python Cutters, Two Vigilante Battleships, Two Machete Destroyers and one Freyja Carrier. Various strategies exist to crush these fleets, and I have my own; you are welcome to peek into my battles and see how I do it. I can usually farm an entire hour-long supply run usually without losing a ship (the Cutters are the only real challenge, the rest is easy to kite), followed by a 1-6 hour repair cycle.
Any road up, the subject of this post is neither the makeup of the enemy fleet nor the strategy required to defeat it; my purpose here is to examine the “prizes” contained in the boxes.
- Either a Tier-5 core, a Tier-4 core (I wish Kixeye wouldn’t give out sub-standard cores!) or a pattern (Mk II, III, IV or V)
- Ship Parts
- Iron Star Armaments
To mark up a single Hurricane Frigate to Mk V, you need:
- 2048-2560+3200+4000=6688 Iron Star Armaments
- 10+30+90+270=400 Hurricane Frigate Parts
- 5+5+5+5=20 Tier-5 Frigate Cores
- One each of Mk II, Mk III, Mk IV and Mk V Patterns
So, how much farming would that entail?
As an experiment, I collected a whole lot of Hurricane Boxes. When I opened them, I got the following results:
This means that after after opening a total of 49 Hurricane boxes, I got:
- Countless Iron Star Armaments (once so hard to find, now as common as muck)
- 150+42+102=294 Hurricane Frigate Parts
- 10+1=11 Tier-5 Frigate Cores
- 13+4+12=29 Tier-4 Frigate Cores
- 8 Mk II Hurricane Patterns
- 1 Mk III Hurricane Patterns
- NO Mk IV Hurricane Patterns
- NO Mk V Hurricane Patterns
What does this tell us?
- Tier-4 Cores (useless) outnumber Tier-5 (the ones you really want) by about six-to-one
- Only one in four drops contain a Pattern.
- Most of those patterns are Mk II.
- You will have to farm fifty fleets to get one ship to Mk III
- Mk IV and V? Forget it.
- It is almost like Kixeye wants us to spend coins to get the pattern boxes ($4 per ship to get all four patterns)
Dear Kixeye, stop giving with one hand and taking with the other. Stop giving out sub-standard cores and stop playing silly buggers with the higher level patterns!